0 Comments | by
SHARE

Awhile ago I got a letter from a reader asking what I would consider the essential makeup items to own, without going broke. As someone who enjoys good quality for a good price, I was more than happy to take this question on! Investing in a good makeup arsenal can at first seem a pretty pricey thing, but good products will last longer and be more effective than something cheap and flaky. That being said though, buying expensive doesn't necessarily guarantee quality. All the products I've listed before are ones I've personally used and loved, so I can definitely vouch for their quality and price. As a bare minimum, one should own at least one of each of these types of items. Personally, I own at least five of each! ;)

Covergirl Lash Blast mascara

Covergirl Lash Blast mascara: if I have to go "naked," then I will only wear a bit of gloss and some mascara. Mascara instantly makes you look awake and more feminine. Lash Blast is under $10 and gives your lashes the best volume and length I've managed to find for such a cheap price.

Loreal Lineur Intense liquid eyeliner: black, liquid eyeliner is my favourite look for eyes. A smooth swoop of black eyeliner is an eternal classic and adds the perfect amount of definition to the eyes. This liner features a teeny brush tip, which if you're not a pro, can be very tricky to use. It is this tiny brush though, that delivers the thinnest and most precise line of any eyeliner I've tried yet in its price range.

Rimmel Colour Rush Quad eyeshadow

Rimmel Colour Rush Quad eyeshadow: Super cheap and available in a range of flattering tones, this quad eyeshadow is a great starter to your makeup kit. The shadows are just pigmented enough to go on quickly, yet are very easy to layer for sheer to opaque coverage. The shadows will last all day without creasing on my eyes, and have a natural, velvety finish. The only downside to this awesome palette is the lack of a brush, but I prefer to use my own brushes anyway.

Sephora Blush Me! blush: Whenever I enter Sephora, I make a beeline for the in-store brand area. Not only are Sephora Brand products good quality and long-lasting, they are also among the cheapest stuff in the store! The Blush Me! compacts come in a rainbow of colors and there are plenty of sales associates there to help you choose the best shade for you. The pigments of these blushes are easily layered for attaining that "just ran in from the fresh air" flushed look.

MAC Sheer/Pressed powder

MAC Sheer/Pressed powder: If you are the low maintenance type (although if you are, why are you reading a blog about being high maintenance?! lol) then the one thing you simply must put some time into is your skin. Flawless skin = beauty. While I highly discourage caking your face with foundation, a little sheer powder goes a long way. MAC sheer pressed powder gives you natural, matte, coverage that won't settle into pores and lasts for hours.

Sephora Brand Super Shimmer lip gloss

Sephora Brand Super Shimmer lip gloss: Lip glosses are easy to apply and give your smile a fun, flirtatious shine. This line of glosses by Sephora are awesome because you need only a teeny dot to transform your lips into sexy, kissable pillows, without stickiness.

These are my go-to picks for your the best makeup essentials for your money! I hope you all found this helpful and I would love to hear what are your favourite go-to makeup buys. And as always, if you have a beauty or fashion question for me, please email me!


Add a Comment What are your top budget beauty recommendations?